Here’s a variation of the steamed bao~ it is easy to prepare yet tastes so good! 🙂
If you have time, you can also try out steamed bao with homemade char siew filling.
Recipe adapted from Bake for Happy kids
Makes 10-12 regular size bao
Steamed bun/ bao
250g Hong Kong flour or any low protein bleached flour
1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
62g caster sugar
2.5 teaspoon Crisco/ vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
110 ml lukewarm water
orange food gel coloring (for pooh)
pink food gel coloring (for piglet) (optional)
10 teaspoons hazelnut-chocolate spread (i am using Casino brand)
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of hazalnut spread and wrap with cling wrap. Repeat for the number of baos that you intend to make.
- Store in the freezer until hardens.
Steamed bun/ bao
- Mix dried yeast in 110ml lukewarm water.
- Add in half of the flour, mix well with yeast mixture. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add in all other ingredients and food coloring (either orange or pink) and knead the dough until smooth and not sticky. Cover dough with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hour or until double in size.
- Dust your hands and rolling pin with flour to prevent dough from sticking. When the dough is ready, divide into 10-12 portions depending on the size of the bao that you want.
- Shape each portion into balls with smooth surfaces. Cover with damp cloth and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Take out a pinch of the dough and keep it for the ears for winnie the pooh. Flatten each dough with a rolling pin. Try to make the center thicker so the skin does not break. Place the (harden) hazelnut filling in the center of the dough. Pull the pleats together and seal.
- Place each bao on a small piece of baking paper with its pleats side down. Roll out 2 small balls for the ears. Keep the dough covered with damp cloth to prevent drying out.
- Set water to boil in a steamer. Steam baos for 15 minutes* until done.
- Serve them warm immediately, or reheat for a few minutes before serving.
- Draw the facial details of the winnie the pooh bear using a black edible food marker.
*Note that the steam timing may vary if you have smaller or larger sized bao, or multiple layers of baos to steam.
Happy making baos!