Had so much fun making these kawaii cookies! The cookie dough is really easy to work with, you can mold them into any characters you like 🙂
Recipe adapted from Baking Tai Tai
125g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
40g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
125g potato starch
80g unbleached top flour (original recipe uses all purpose flour)
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons icing sugar
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and icing sugar till light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and continue to beat till well combined.
- Sift in potato starch, plain flour and cocoa powder (optional). With a spatula, mix to form a soft dough. Leave the dough to chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes so that it is easier to work with.
- Roll and shape the dough into the characters. Place on a baking tray line with baking paper.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray for about 5 minutes to prevent breakage before you transfer to a wiring rack to cool completely.
- Draw the features on the cookies using edible food markers. For gudetama design, melt white chocolate to create the egg white and place the cookie on top. Freeze in the freezer until the chocolate hardens.
Have fun! 🙂