Recipe adapted from Washoku guide
I am using 16cm chiffon cake pan.
4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
20g + 30g caster sugar
40ml olive oil (i use naturel extra light olive oil)
dash of vanilla extract
75g unbleached white flour
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Sift the flour 2 or 3 times.
- Add 20g sugar to the egg yolks in 2 or 3 batches and whip until they turn pale and heavy. Add the olive oil, milk and vanilla to the egg yolks and mix. Gradually add the sifted flour and mix well with a spatula.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add 30g sugar to the egg whites in a few batches. Whip until stiff peaks form. During the last minute, whip on low speed.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue to the flour mixture from Step 3. Add the mixture back to the rest of the meringue in 2 or 3 batches. Mix together without popping the delicate bubbles.
- Pour batter into chiffon cake pan, gently drop the pan on the table top 2 or 3 times to remove the air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Do not open the door in the middle of baking.
- When baking is done, flip it upside down and let it cool completely.
- Once it’s completely cooled, insert a knife between the cake pan and the cake. Insert a bamboo skewer between the cake and the center of the mold. Take it out with a knife.